- Enter your login credentials on the log in screen
- You will be presented with a pop-up ‘security’ box which displays a QR code
- Select the option ‘The camera on my card reader isn’t working’, a challenge code will be displayed on screen
- Insert your smartcard into the reader, the camera on the reader will automatically switch on. If the reader has switched off, re-insert the smartcard into the reader to re-activate the camera.
- Press the "MENU" button
- Press "1" to select “Sign (manual entry)”
- Enter the challenge code displayed online into the reader and press ‘OK’
- When prompted, enter the smartcard PIN into the reader and press ‘OK’. The PIN is required to authenticate the challenge code log in request
- A response code will be generated on the reader. Enter the response code into the online form and select ‘Continue’ to log in
eQ card reader
Help when logging in to eQ with my new smartcard and reader
The European Union has issued new regulations to improve the security of payments services and payments processing throughout Europe, which we fully support. Known as SCA (Strong Customer Authentication). These new regulations, have to be implemented by all financial institutions that operate within the European Union, but the benefit of this additional security is clear, so we as financial instruction will be rolling it out across our services internationally.
Its important to advise you that we consider all changes to our services in great detail, looking at the impact on both you and the eQ service. In some cases the benefits are not clear, as is often the case when we take steps to improve our security.
In this case, the EU has taken valid and sensible steps to improve security and stay one step ahead of both national and international security threats and as a bank we fully support these steps and recognise the benefits they deliver.
Therefore RBS Group have taken the decision to implement this enhanced level of security across all its banking operations, nationally and internationally. Evidence has shown that those who fall behind improving their security standards become targets of security attacks, a situation the bank refuses to put you or its service into.
The bank strongly believes that its approach to security should be a pro-active response and therefore has and will continue to take all necessary measure to remain a leader in the financial sector.
Enter your log in credentials on the eQ log in screen
You will be presented with a pop-up ‘security’ box which displays a QR code
Insert your smartcard into the reader; the camera on the reader will automatically switch on. If the reader has switched off, re-insert the smartcard into the reader to re-activate the camera
Scan the on screen QR code using the camera on your reader. If you have trouble scanning the QR code, you can adjust the size using the radio buttons
A log in confirmation message will appear on your reader, if you wish to proceed press 'OK'
When prompted, enter the smartcard PIN into the reader and press ‘OK’. The PIN is required to authenticate the QR code log in request
A response code will be generated and displayed on the reader. Enter the response code into the online form and select ‘Continue’ to log in
Visit our eQ Support centre for answers to frequently asked questions or to find out how to contact the eQ Helpdesk.